Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Frustrated Mommy


So there's 2 things you should notice about this picture:

1: Kate is feeding JR (after I gave up)...he did actually eat 2 bites from her!

2: Kate is wearing potty-training pants.

So here's my frustrations, and I'm totally open to suggestions on both....so PLEASE comment if you have a great idea! :)

Potty-training...UG. I don't know if Kate's just too stressed out about moving, or if she's not ready yet or if this is all a big power struggle, but we've been doing hard-core potty-training for the past 2 days and are not having much success. I have MnMs to bribe her with (she gets 1 every time she goes). I have those thick cotton panties to wear while we're at home (she doesn't care if she goes in a pull-up). We have a potty seat that goes on the big potty and also a little potty chair. She has gone potty TONS of times for MONTHS, but we haven't pushed her. Now that I'm saying she needs to go in the potty, she won't. She's gone 3 times over the past 2 days. When she wets her pants she has to clean up the mess, take the panties to the washing machine, wipe, wash her hands and put on her new panties. All of this and she really doesn't care, she just looks at me and says, "I pee Mommy" with a totally straight-matter-of-fact tone. Tomorrow on the suggestion of my cousin we're going to get a timer, decorate it with stickers and then set it to go off every hour & make her sit on the potty every hour. We'll see. Any more ideas????

Ok, so J.R. THE BOY WILL NOT EAT FOOD!!!! He SOMETIMES eats pears, bananas or sweet-potatoes. He was doing well with apples, but now doesn't like them. We've tried broccoli and green beans with NO success. He would LOVE to eat real food, but gags himself on that, so obviously that's not a great idea. Tonight at dinner I wondered if it's the texture of the food. Because I'm making it from scratch it's hard to get it really smooth...maybe I'll try some store-bought green veggies tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. Any other ideas???

I love my babies, but today they made me just a tad bit nutso!!! Jeff was sweet and let me take a Mommy time-out bath when he got home. Praise the Lord for 30 minutes of peace and quiet and a good novel! :)

Love you all and miss you all a BUNCH!!!!

5 comments:

Grubb Family said...

Jules, we have the same frustrations with Keira at the moment, although we aren't trying nearly as hardcore as you are. She happily goes whenever we ask her to, but if we don't remind her, she just goes in her panties and says "PeePee Mommy" like it's no big deal. Unfortunately, she has to wear diapers most of the time because her school just isn't quite ready to take her every 30 minutes to an hour (or clean up the subsequent messes). I wish I had suggestions for you, but as least let me reassure you you're not in this boat alone!!

Love and miss you,
Rach

JulieC said...

Thanks Rach! I miss you to sweet friend! :) Keep it up---at least she's going happily instead of wailing at you. Ha!

Jennie said...

Okay, granted I am not even a mom yet, but...potty training will have its ups and downs, for most children the reward system works better than a negative consequence. You might try making a big deal of going to the store and letting Kate pick out big girl panties. The other big thing is making sure that she at least tries to go on the potty every two hours or so. As far as JR, some kids are just finicky eaters. He isn't going to go hungry. Unless he has weight loss, there isn't much to worry about, although I know it must be frustrating for you.

Elisa said...

Hi, Julie. How fun to stumble on your blog. I have no parenting advice for you - it sounds like quite a challenge! At least they're really cute to help offset the frustration. Love, Elisa (Foust)

Lauren said...

Julie! Ah, my mom told me about your blog :) I added you to my blogroll, so now we can be blogging buddies :) It is so neat to see how you and your sweet family are doing. We are in the process of potty-training Will, too. We are taking a slow approach...too much going on right now to really take it on hard core. Anyway, good luck to both of us, eh?

Looking forward to reading more about y'all...

Lauren :)