Saturday, February 2, 2008

J.R. vs. the bottle warmer

Well, as a mother of a boy, a very rambunctious boy...who takes after his father...who broke SEVERAL bones in his childhood and had many trips for stitches, we have officially begun the count of ER trips! :) Thursday was trip number one.
JR was in the church nursery where I attend Bible Study. And for the record, I think this is one of the best church child-care's that I've ever seen---they are very safe and thorough...although they learned the hard way not to have bottle warmers in the rooms! What I THINK happened (since I was a little shaken when I was listening to the story and didn't catch everything) is that JR pulled on the cord of a bottle warmer filled with hot water and it spilled onto him...giving his left fore-arm 2nd degree burns, and his belly 1st and 2nd degree burns. Poor baby!!!!
We rushed to an urgent care center across the street, who sent us directly to Dell Children's hospital. We spent several hours there...he got an IV drip of fluids and morphine (let me tell you how easy it is to keep an 11 month old from EATING his IV!!!!) and eventually got seen by the Dr. and got a bandage put on. At first we thought we'd have to stay in the hospital over-night, but we were VERY thankful when we got to go home that evening.
We returned to the outpatient wound-care center yesterday for bandage changing and a little check-up. I got to do it at home today (not really fun...but at least we didn't have to go in) and we'll go back tomorrow to get checked again. We are praying that the wound will be healing well and they will be able to use a new kind of bandage that you don't have to change and will just fall off when the wound heals! We'll see.
The people from the church have been GREAT...one lady went with me to the Urgent care place and then brought Kate to Dell, and then another lady came up and sat with me while Jeff took Kate home (since we thought we'd be there overnight). They brought dinner for us last night and just are being so generous and helpful. We are so blessed.
JR is such a trooper, he hasn't cried very much at all...in fact, when I got back to the nursery to see him, he was just happily drinking his bottle with his skin falling off of his arm! He fell ASLEEP on the way to the hospital, and barely cried when they cleaned his burns and bandaged him up! He has been playing and sleeping great ever since we got home...such a blessing!!! Sweet boy, he's such a strong and brave little guy!
So, here's the pictures. I didn't get one of him in his little hospital gown (really cute, but kind of pitiful!), and I'll spare you any of the open wound on his arm, but here's my smiling boy...




By the way, do you know how hard it is to keep him from getting his food all over his bandage??? We have nice orange stains on the current one from his carrots for dinner! Wonderful. Good thing there's so many layers of gause between the air and the wound!!!

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Oh my GOODNESS! I am so glad that he is okay and on his way to being himself again. How scary is that! Poor thing.

Elisa said...

That is so scary, Julie. Thank God that J.R. is OK! You are going to be a strong woman by the time he is finished with his ER excursions. I love the grin on his face even as you're taking photos to document his injuries!

Anonymous said...

I am thankful JR has such loving, caring and competent parents. It took me a few minutes after Jeff called to get out of my 'off to the rescue' mode and remind myself that JR's parents are fully capable of responding effectively to what happened. And you are! I'm also thankful for all the support you seem to have received from the church. Dad

jennyc said...

Hi Julie!! I've enjoyed catching up with you through your blog! You have a PRECIOUS family and I'm so glad to have happened upon your blog. I think I got here through Jordan's blog. So glad your baby boy is ok! My little one is just about mobile and very BUSY! I'm sure the fun is just beginning in the way of accidents :) Take care!

Jenny (Murphy - from ACU)

Monica said...

Oh that is so sad!!! Poor baby!! I bet they rethink how the bottle warmers sit in that nursery. : ) That just did not sound like any fun at all. Glad he is ok and it was just his arm. That could have been a lot worse. I guess welcome to having a boy right?? : )

Terri said...

Wow, how scary for you guys,,,, sounds like you handled it like pros though. You'd never what a traumatic experience he'd been through looking at that smiling face, what a doll! Hope it's all better soon :)

Lauren said...

I am so glad J.R. is okay...what a little trooper. I can't believe he fell asleep on the way to the hospital! I hope he continues to heal up well!

Daphne said...

My Kate burned both of her hands on the oven door. It had been turned off but was still hot and, since she wasn't walking yet, she put her full weight on her hands. It was just a second before I grabbed her but still got one of her hands really bad. She wasn't much of a crier either through the weeks of bandage changing and wrapping around her tiny fingers. I used a sock with a hole cut for her thumb to keep her from messing with it once she started using it again.

No scars and not enough memory of pain to slow the child down. Can't give you ANY hope of it slowing J.R. down! Kate, at 21, is still open to dares!

You are a wonderful mother but you can't protect them from everything. Makes a mom glad she's got God, prayer, and the Holy Spirit!

By the way, KoJi's won Sing Song ending an eight year span for Siggies! Kate was ecstatic! Sarah's freshman class group had a 100 pt deduction for a kid dared by his brother to end up in his whity tidies. Not attractive. She said they would have had 2nd place and competed for 1st if not for the dummy.

Going back to blog to finish catching up!

Caren said...

YIKES!!! That is sooo scary - I'm glad he's doing better. Wow.

Aren't boys fun?!! I'll never forget when Garrett touched hot the stove burner...twice! But how scary that that happened to poor J.R. :-(