Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Needed advice!!!

Ok, my blog mommy friends...it's time for advice.

I got some great tips from another friend for this, but I thought I'd ask the blog world...

We recently took a trip to Houston that was SUPPOSED to be great fun. Jeff had some meetings there and the kids and I joined him in the hotel to visit friends. UNFORTUNATELY, JR woke up in the night and cried until morning (well...we spent until morning trying to keep him quiet so as not to disturb other guests) and we just came home instead of seeing anyone.

How do you stay in hotel rooms with little ones???????

4 comments:

Elisa said...

Julie, you seem to know exactly what prayers I need. Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't know much about kids in hotel rooms. It sounds like it must have been a discouraging situation when you were looking forward to getting away and seeing friends. When you figure out what to do in the future, you'll have to pass your wisdom along.

Caren said...

Hmmm...benadryl???!!!

Sorry your trip got cut short - what a bummer!

Terri said...

What a relief.... YOU weren't in the condo next to us in Florida hearing my grandkids scream and about to call CPS or whatever Florida calls theirs! LOL... My best solution is to have a suite, a two room hotel room. With that said, (and we had a full condo mind you) on our vacation, this particular day, the aforementioned child #1 was incredibly overtired and screamed (and occasionally kicked the headboard) for an hour, really probably two, off and on. After many interventions, by his parents, it finally took a parent laying with him and holding him tightly to get him asleep. Child #2 (different night, thank goodness) woke up after her parents left for a movie and screamed bloody murder. I was seriously afraid someone would coming knocking at our door. Long story short- we had to call Lauren to come calm C #2 down (their movie was squashed already anyway)..... (FYI: both kids have structured bed times at home and go to bed easily; these episodes on vacation both happened after each child had been put to bed after bath, massage with lavender lotion, full bed time book, song, prayer routine, it still happens :} )

1)try to keep bedtime routine as much as possible

2)take turns dealing with the sleepless child

3)try really hard to keep up naptime/rest time when you're out of town.

4) have two beds, each of you sleep with one child (unfortunately, this means you go to bed really early and separately)

ok, that's my best advice....
love you, Nana Terri

Leilanni said...

I checked out the comments on this one hoping to find a magical answer - ha! It looks like we're all in the same boat!!

I have yet to find a great solution - we've tried keeping routines, not keeping routines, tiring her out at the park (which just results in over-tiredness!), lulling to sleep with a movie (totally did NOT work), driving until she falls asleep, and on and on!

The only thing we've found is that nothing seems to work for more than one night. Like someone else mentioned, I just resorted to laying down with her which really stinks because it IS way early.

We'll be in some hotels again soon as we move so I'll be checking back to see more tips!!! Good question though . . .may have to toss it out on my blog and see what comes back, too!!